Tuesday, September 23, 2014

first day of school

First off, I want to share with you part of an email I received from Steve, one of the organizers of the International Society on campus:
Hello everyone,  
Manchester wants to rain on you.
It wants to rain on you to show you that it loves you.
Embrace Manchester's sweet rainy love.
And leave your umbrella at home.
Manchester wants to give you a lovely wet hug. 
All the best,
Steve
Don't you just love that? I think I might print that out and put it on my wall.

Anyway, today was officially my first day of school! It felt so strange to start on a Tuesday, let alone at a different university in a different country. Also, it just hit me more that I actually have to study while I'm here at the university. It is study abroad after all!

Before class, I met up with Kyle, who is also a sociology major and apart of the UCEAP program. I'm so glad she was there; I would have felt very out of place without her! The course is the "Sociology of Popular Music," which sounds more interesting than it actually is. But I guess I shouldn't make judgements based on the first day. Some parts of the class were fun, though. We took a music survey where the questions asked about our feelings towards different types of music. One of the genres was"Americana." Kyle and I were so confused on what that even meant, and we still have no idea. I've also met some great people, who are coincidentally all international students. And I understood the professor the entire lecture. Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment