Thursday, October 2, 2014

takin' care of business (+ a recipe!)

I'm sorry for the lack of updates these past couple of days. I have not forgotten you lovely readers. In fact, you are on my mind each and everyday. But I've just been busy with reading. Lots and lots of reading. So there hasn't been anything too exciting going on lately. I'm surprised that I'm actually reading because I usually put them off a few weeks before finals. Which is something I definitely do not advise, unless you're a professional procrastinator--like me. But since I plan to travel during the weekends, it's time to start new study habits and actually fill out a planner to keep organized. Let's hope that I keep this up the remainder of the semester!

I also hear that UC students finally started school today. It must feel weird to start school in October. And it's the beginning of the end for most my friends, as many of them will be graduating this year. I can't believe it's our 4th year in college. I feel so old.

Oh, and I'm finally beginning to cook real meals. Tonight, I made a quick curry chicken stir fry that I'm happy to share with you! To be honest, I kind of improvised this and didn't measure anything; the ingredients are only estimates of what I used. So I'm sorry if this becomes a complete disaster for you. It was delicious for me, though, and you can use up pretty much any veggies you have on hand.

Curry Chicken Stir-Fry
2 chicken breasts (cut into bite-sized chunks)
2 tbsp curry powder, divided
2 tbsp fish sauce, divided
1 tsp water
1 tbsp olive oil
3 cloves of fresh garlic, minced
2 tsp of fresh ginger, minced
1/2 crown of broccoli, cut up into small florets
1 bell pepper (any color!), chopped
Salt & Pepper, to taste
Optional: Cooked white or brown rice, to serve
1. In a small bowl, mix together 1 tbsp curry powder and 1 tbsp fish sauce with the water; set aside.
2. Season the cut-up chicken breasts with the remaining curry powder and fish sauce (I did this in a plastic bag).
3. On a frying pan on medium-high heat, add the olive oil and cook the chicken breasts until about half way cooked through, about 2-3 minutes.
4. When the chicken breasts are nearly cooked through, add in the garlic, ginger, and all of the veggies and cook for 2 minutes.
5. Add in the curry and fish sauce mixture, and continue to cook for another 5 minutes, or until chicken and veggies are fully cooked.
6. Season with salt and pepper, if needed.
7. Serve with rice on the side.
8. EAT!

No comments:

Post a Comment