Friday, October 3, 2014

it's been a month

 
 

 
 


I can't believe how fast the time went! I arrived in England exactly one month ago on September 3rd. I remember stepping off that plane like it was yesterday. It was my very first time traveling alone and setting foot in another country. I was beyond excited for my adventures ahead. But I was also very, very terrified. I was basically in another world, and I had no idea what to expect. Sure, I was familiar with British culture through the films I've watched and the books I've read, but nothing could prepare me for what was to come. My parents weren't going to take care of me. It was time for me to be an independent woman (cue the Destiny Child's song) and actually take responsibility. In other words: I had to become an "adult," which is something I've never really felt even though I'm three years past 18.

I've always been a relatively shy and introverted person, and I initially thought that studying abroad would be way out of my league. How was I going to make new friends? Who was going to ask the store clerk where the sugar cubes were located (for a proper cuppa, of course)? And going out to a pub? You must be nuts! But guess what: I have made friends, I did ask the store clerk about the sugar cubes, and I did go out to not one, but two pubs! Living abroad has definitely challenged me to come out of my shell and speak up for myself in certain situations. And you know what: it feels great. I think I'm becoming the person I've always wanted to become. I feel like I'm growing into a more confident individual, and I push myself everyday to do something out of my comfort zone.

And how is life abroad so far? Well, it certainly has not been easy. There can be a few frustrating moments: like getting constantly lost because you have no idea how to read a map. Or not understanding what an English person is telling you even though they speak the same language. I get especially confused when I'm greeted with "are you alright?" What do you mean "am I alright?" Do I look sick? Is something in my hair? AM I ON FIRE? The phrase is actually just the equivalent of "how are you?" But hey, I'm learning! Homesickness can take a toll on you as well. During the first couple of weeks here, some days I would suddenly burst out in tears, wishing that I could be back at home. I just had to keep telling myself: You're going to be OK. Have fun and enjoy yourself! So it takes time to adjust, but I'm getting used to it day by day.

So in spite of these obstacles, this first month abroad has truly been wonderful. I've visited so many places I had always dreamed of going. Seeing Big Ben, paddle boating at Hyde Park, and going to the Harry Potter Tour were some of my favorite moments in London. And I'm still getting to know Manchester, but I love going to the City Centre and always get struck by the University's beautiful architecture every time I go to class. I've also met some of the friendliest people--both British and international students. This has probably one of the best things about studying abroad; I've been meeting people from all over the world, including those from China, Australia, and Germany. It's been so interesting to share stories about our own cultures, and it's allowed me to gain a new perspective about the world we live in. The food in England has also been delicious and very comforting. I'm pretty sure I won't be able to fit into my jeans by the end of the semester. Maybe I need to slow down on the fish and chips and dark chocolate digestives... or not. And I'm still trying to nail the English accent. I've learned a few British slang words and phrases from one of my flatmates, but it always sounds better when she says them. Oh, how I envy her.

I'm looking forward for these 2 and a half more months! I feel so grateful to be here, and I wish you guys were here with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment