Monday, October 13, 2014

bath & stonehenge

Over the weekend, I took an overnight trip with the International Society to the city of Bath and Stonehenge. We headed to Bath early Saturday morning, where it took us nearly four hours to get to the hostel. But upon arrival, I was pleasantly surprised to see it located in a really nice and woodsy area on top of a hill. This was my first time staying at a hostel, and it was quite an interesting experience. I think I'm just not used to sharing a room with 5 other people. I'm not sure how I would feel if I had to share the room with actual strangers, but I guess every hostel experience is different! Though it's nothing like the Eli Roth movie, I can assure you.

Anyway, after settling in the hostel we had the rest of the day to explore Bath on our own. I knew nearly nothing about Bath prior to coming, but I instantly fell in love. The city is gorgeous, and it kind of felt like being in Rome due to the architecture. I learned that Bath has been known as the "ultimate spa town" because of its natural hot springs, so it's definitely a place to visit if you want to "treat yo self."



Stacie and I first headed to Sally Lunn's for lunch, which is apparently a "must do" in Bath. The eating house is famous for their buns (*giggles*), and you can have them with sweet or savory toppings. We probably waited for about 30 minutes or more to get a seat. And I've gotta say that after eating it, I'm not exactly sure what's so special about them. I mean, it was yummy, but I couldn't really tell what made them different from any other bun other than it's slight sweetness and large size. It's also overpriced, and you don't even get the whole bun! I guess because the building itself is one of the oldest in Bath and it's such a tourist hot spot, they can do as they please.

After lunch, we decided to visit the Roman Baths. You may be asking: what's so special about a public bathing site? I wish I knew the answer, but you just have to come and see this place for yourself. The museum inside is amazing--you can visit the Romans' changing rooms and saunas, or take a look at the original plumbing and drainage system. But at the center of it all is "The Great Bath," which is a pool below street level filled with hot spa water. Oh yeah, the Romans knew how to bathe the right way.



We were already pretty exhausted afterwards, so after dinner we decided to call it a day. But the next morning, we were given some more time to explore Bath. And what better way to spend it than taking a visit to the Jane Austen Centre! Now, I have a confession: I've actually never read any of Jane Austen's books. I know, shame on me! I've watched the movie Pride and Prejudice starring Keira Knightley, though. That kind of counts, right?

The exhibit is relatively small and is located inside the house where Jane once lived for some time. But it was really fun! We learned all about Jane and her family, saw plenty of "I heart Mr. Darcy" merchandise, ate delicious free cookie samples, and finally ordered some proper afternoon tea! Which brings me to perhaps the funniest thing about this place: the Mr. Darcy painting portrayed by Colin Firth. The painting is everywhere in the centre, including the tea room, and the real one retails for £12,000! But since I can't afford such things, I bought the card version of it for £2.50. I wonder if Colin Firth has ever visited this place--would he be flattered or horrified?

A shrine?


Simple & delicious! View the recipe HERE & HERE
But my favorite part of all was dressing up. Here are some exclusive images from my photoshoot. Full coverage will be in the November issue of Austen Magazine:
My sweet Mr. Darcy. How I long for you to come home! 
Oh, I forgot. I'm all alone.
After an Austen-filled morning in Bath, we were back on the bus to Stonehenge! Ah yes, these beautiful stones are the true rockstars of the world (ha!). So grand, so majestic, so... old. Like back in the BC days old! Apparently the stones are aligned with the movements of the sun, and the site was once used as a burial ground as cremated remains have been found in the area.

Stonehenge is pretty amazing when you're actually there. But the place was also FREEZING. I definitely wasn't prepared for the weather, and I just wanted to get off the tram and right back on it. Nevertheless, I was able to get through the strong winds and took multiple pictures at different angles to show you all of Stonehenge's glory. Which one is your favorite?


It was a very tiring, but overall wonderful trip! But now I feel a cold coming on. You know what that means: more tea!

No comments:

Post a Comment