Thursday, October 30, 2014

paris, france: days 3 & 4

The Paris adventures continue! Hannah, Stacie and I started off Monday morning with a healthy dose of macarons! Now, apparently there is a rivalry between Pierre Herme and Laduree over the best macarons in Paris. We first went into Pierre Herme, where we were greeted with free chocolate samples (YES!). We ended up getting a box of 7 macarons for €18. *cringe* But it was actually worth it. I got the lavender and dark chocolate and sea salt macarons, and we shared the olive oil and vanilla macaron. They melted in your mouth and the flavors were just right. SO GOOD.

Pretty patties!


After crying over how fast the macarons were gone, we were able to go inside the Palais Garnier this time! Ah, being inside just made me remember the "masquerade" scene in the Phantom of the Opera. The whole opera house is lovely, and it's the most beautiful venue I've ever seen.



After the opera house, Hannah sadly had to leave us to do some work. But she directed us to a bakery called Du Pain et Des Idees, which is apparently regarded as one of the best bakeries in Paris. I didn't go into that many bakeries during my stay, but I'll vouch for that, anyway. We ordered a whole bunch of items from Hannah's recommendations, including the niflettes (mini pastries with a custard filling), the escargot (filled pastries shaped like a snail's shell), and the smoked bread. It's hard to pick a favorite because I loved everything.


Aww yeah.

After consuming too many carbs, we headed to the Arc de Triomphe. We were hoping to go up the monument, since we were told that the view from the top offers a better view than the Eiffel Tower. But since the Arc de Triomphe is right in the center of a very busy roundabout, we had no idea where to cross. So we walked along the Champs Elysees, a street full of restaurants and luxury shops that sell things no one can afford.

Along the Champs Elysees, there was also a Laduree! Obviously, we had to get more macarons and compare it to Pierre Herme's. It was a really cute shop, but I have to say, I was pretty dissapointed with their macarons. They were too sweet for my liking, and had a strange texture--definitely not "melt in your mouth." The flavors they offered also weren't that unique. So who wins the macaron battle in Paris? I give my vote Pierre Herme.



We then rushed over to the Eiffel Tower to snap some photos before the sun set, because night time photos are not enough! My heart just fluttered everytime I looked at it. I took a way too many pictures, but I'll just showcase my favorite ones.


Je t'aime!


After dinner that night, we headed to the Sacre Coeur to get a night view over the city. It's a church located on top of a hill called the Montmarte, which is the highest point in the city. For this metro exit in particular, we had to climb a spiral staircase that never seemed to end. Oh, the burn in my thighs. It was only when we got to the top that we noticed there was an elevator. Eh, it was good exercise I suppose.

Before getting on a cable car to get up to the Sacre Couer, around this area were a bunch of scammers. Which brings me to attempted scam #4 (I skipped #2 and #3 because they weren't much): a guy with a bunch of bracelets in his hand was approaching me, saying "Hello there!" but I quickly said "no" and started walking straight ahead (Stacie was walking a bit behind me). He tried to get in front of me, saying "No, no, I just want to show you something!" in which he suddenly GRABBED my wrist. I quickly pulled away and said "no" multiple times, and walked faster towards the ticket booth for the cable car. I knew about these "string men" before coming to Paris, but I wasn't aware that they're actually known to be prominent around the Sacre Couer. It was a bit scary, but thankfully nothing happened.

After that incident, we made our way up the Montemarte to the Sacre Couer. The view was beautiful, but unfortunately trees are in the way of letting you see the Eiffel Tower. It's also a bit strange that there were a bunch of people drinking outside the church?




The next morning, Hannah brought us to a bakery nearby her place. I seriously don't know how the French stay so slim and fit when there are bakeries everywhere. Is it because they go up and down the stairs all the time? I've noticed that the French metros rarely have escalators. Is that their secret?

I got a chocolate eclair and a baguette sandwich with mozzarella, basil, tomatoes, and an olive tapanade. I haven't had too many eclairs in my day, but wow, this eclair was delicious. The baguette was also one of the best I've ever eaten. I'm still dreaming about them.



We didn't have much time to do anything else in Paris, since we had to get the the train station around 3:00 PM. So Stacie and I decided to spend our morning at the Palace of Versailles, once home to Louis XIV and Marie Antoinette. What can I say about the Palace Versailles other than how ridiculously massive and glorious it is? Gold was everywhere at the front gates! Jeez, can you just imagine the lives of French royalty before? It's insane. I want that lavish life.

Unfortunately, we didn't have time to go inside because the line to get in was literally a mile long. We definitely weren't expecting such a huge crowd that morning. I was really upset because I wanted to go inside and also see the gardens. Oh well, one day I'll be back! One day... (sorry, I just had to.)




So instead of going inside the château, we ended up just walking around the streets of Versailles and shopping at Monoprix, which is a French retail store similar to Target. I loaded up on a lot of pate, some Dijon mustard, and French sweets. I really don't know how I'm going to fit all of my stuff into my luggage when I go back home.

Before we knew it, our French travels were over, and we headed back to Hannah's to get ready to leave.



Bye bye cute and shy French kitty!

It was sad to say goodbye, and I am missing Hannah so much right now. But I'll be seeing her in the next couple of weeks when she comes to visit the U.K.! I want to thank Hannah and Pallavi so much for letting us stay in their home and helping us around! I couldn't have done this trip without them.

Paris, overall, was great. Was it what I dreamed it would be? Not exactly--it had its good and bad moments. It was certainly nothing like Jenny's trip to Paris from the movie An Education (which I love). But I think that the city is absolutely beautiful, and I'm so glad I got to experience a bit of it all. From eating the delicious pastries to visiting some of the prettiest monuments and museums in the world, Paris has a lot to offer, and I want to come back one day to visit other areas in France. But maybe when I sharpen my French skills. Someone please make learning French as enjoyable as Flight of the Conchords.

I have a lot more thoughts about Paris that I'll probably save for another day, but now I have so many essays to get going on. *sigh*

No comments:

Post a Comment